Upholding Your Rights Through Life’s Transitions.

Navigating family law is a deeply personal experience. We understand that every decision affects the heart of your family, especially when it involves your children and financial future. Whether you're seeking spousal support or navigating separation, our tailored guidance ensures you act within essential timeframes. We strive to safeguard your rights while fostering cooperative resolutions, providing peace of mind as you transition into life's next chapter.

Review from Ricky Farrel

“Preet is knowledgeable, experienced, trustworthy, and caring. I have been extremely pleased with her work and plan on using her services for further legal matters. I highly recommend her to anyone who needs sound legal advice as she never fails to provide excellent service.”

Review from Randa Salameh

“Harpreet and her team at Themis Law Corporation were great in helping us out with our requests. They were very responsive, thorough and knowledgeable. They really care about their clients and their needs. Would highly recommend them!”

What We Can Help You With

  • Adoption
  • Asset Protection
  • Child Custody and Access
  • Child Support
  • Divorce and Separation
  • Division of Property
  • Parenting Time and Disputes
  • Spousal Support

Our Process

Contact us by filling out our form, sending an email, or giving us a call!
We'll get in touch with you within 24 hours to set an appointment.
At our meeting, we will discuss your legal and business situation and go over the legal services required.
Once we understand what your business needs, we can begin working on solutions to your problems.

Legal Assistance Is a Form Away

Service Page Contact Form

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I obtain custody and/or access to my child?

The Factors that the court will consider in custody applications:

  • The best interest of the child
  • A child should have as much contact with each parent as is consistent with the best interest of the child
  • The court may not consider the past conduct of a parent unless the conduct is relevant to the ability to care for the child.
  • Access is the right of the child, not the parent.
  • Access involves maintaining a meaningful relationship between parent and child not merely visitation.

*Note: In BC we no longer use the term custody and access, instead we use parenting arrangement or parenting responsibilities and parenting time.

Do I qualify to receive spousal support?

Yes, if you satisfy one of the following:

  • If you are Married, or
  • Unmarried spouses who lived together in a marriage–like relationship for at least 2 years; or
  • Unmarried spouses who lived together in a marriage-like relationship for less than 2 years but who have a child together- however, if your case falls under the last category then you are only entitled to claim spousal support and not the property division.
What is the timeline for applying for spousal support?

If you are applying under the Divorce Act, there is no limitation period for bringing a claim for spousal support.

Under the Family Law Act, a spouse must bring a claim for spousal support:

  • within 2 years of Divorce, if married spouses.
  • within 2 years of Separation, if unmarried spouses.
How long will the separation process take?

In BC, if you are married, you must be separated for more than 1 year to file for Divorce. (However, during that one-year period, if you resume cohabitation for purpose of attempting reconciliation for more than 90 days then you need to start the one-year period afresh).

In order to separate, one spouse must simply advise the other spouse that he/or she wants to end the relationship permanently.

How will we split our assets?

Under the Family Law Act there is a presumption of equal division of family property and family debt between spouses.

What is Family property – all real and personal property that: 

  • either or both of the spouses owned on the date of separation; or
  • was acquired by a spouse after the date of separation but derived from family property;
  • increase in value of excluded property that occurred during the spousal relationship;
  • money in an account at a financial institution; Pensions and RRSPs,
  • share or interest in a business/corporation;
What will happen to our matrimonial home?

Under the Family Law Act there is a presumption of equal division of family property (matrimonial home)

However, Court may divide family property unequally if it would be “significantly unfair” Court will consider the following:

  • the length of the marriage between the spouses;
  • the terms of any agreement between the spouses;
  • a spouse’s contribution to the career or career potential of the other spouse;
  • whether family debt was incurred in the normal course of the relationship and to maintain the family;
What are the benefits of hiring a family lawyer?

You don’t need to hire a family lawyer. Most people represent themselves in a family law matter, however, when things go out of hand, they don’t know what to do. In order to avoid those situations that cause more harm than good you must have legal representation. As lawyers are trained and can help you find a timely resolution.

How does divorce work in BC?

Grounds for divorce is marriage breakdown, which can be established by proof of one of the following:

  • Separation for more than 1 year or adultery or physical or mental cruelty.

If you are married and want to end your relationship, then you can apply to Supreme Court to get an order for Divorce, if there are children of the marriage, the court will need to be satisfied that reasonable arrangements for child support have been made.

What does child custody mean?

In BC the word custody is no longer used instead of custody we use parental responsibilities or parenting arrangements, and parenting time.

During the parenting time, the guardian has the responsibility to make day-to-day decisions regarding the child subject to a court order or agreement between the parties.

How is child support determined?

The child support is payable and by whom is determined using the Child support guidelines.

  • Determine the number of eligible children
  • Determine the gross income of both parents
What’s a separation agreement?

When both parties mutually agree that they want to end the relationship they can draft an agreement that will cover all the points pertaining to:

  • child support & spousal support
  • property division and how all the assets and debts will be divided between both parties
  • how the rights of the children will be protected, how much parenting time and parenting responsibilities each parent will have, who will keep the family home etc.

This will save you a trip to the court and the lengthy litigation process. We can draft a separation agreement for you by securing your rights and providing you with proper legal advice.

How is spousal support determined?

The Spousal support is determined using the Spousal support advisory guidelines.

Court will consider means, needs and other circumstances of each spouse, including:

  1. a) the length of time the spouses cohabited;
  2. b) the functions performed by each spouse during cohabitation;
  3. c) any order, agreement or arrangement 
Can my spouse and I both hire the same lawyer?

In case of Divorce by consent, you can hire the same lawyer, but in case of conflict the lawyer cannot continue to act for both of you.

It’s hard choosing a lawyer, what should I be looking for?

Good listener, patient and trustworthy if you find these in a lawyer – GO for it.